PRX is looking for a manager with production and operational skills to work at the PRX Podcast Garage. Working closely with the Community Manager, the Studio and Operations Manager will oversee the recording studio and play a key role in strengthening our operations.
The PRX Podcast Garage is a community recording studio and classroom dedicated to the craft of audio storytelling. PRX, the award-winning public media company and founder of Radiotopia, opened the PRX Podcast Garage in August 2016 to support the work of local audio producers and storytellers. Located on Western Ave. in Allston, a 20-minute walk from Harvard Square, the PRX Podcast Garage runs a professional recording studio, rents field kits, organizes trainings, and much more.
In 2018 so far, the Podcast Garage has held over 60 workshops and community events – more than half with local and national partners – with over 1,500 attendees. Since January, we’ve also recorded over 500 hours of audio in our studio, which includes nearly 30 member shows like “Mass Exoneration,” “Caught Up: A Podcast from South Boston,” “Dear Young Rocker,” “Teaching While White,” “Sourcing Matters,” “One in a Billion” and others.
This role is a full-time position, Tuesdays through Saturdays, based in Boston. This is a new position and the second staff member based at the PRX Podcast Garage. We are opening a second Podcast Garage in Washington, D.C in early 2019.
This application deadline is extended to Wednesday, October 17 at 11:59 p.m. EST.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Manage daily operation of recording studio, including engineering, booking, equipment maintenance, and general inquiries
- Expand studio bookings and services through strategic outreach, excellent service, and research and observation of customer needs
- Create and maintain the technical systems of the Podcast Garage
- Develop and maintain clear documents of technical systems to allow easy use by staff, instructors, partners, etc.
- Maintain, improve, and troubleshoot processes and policies such as reservations, payments, and user agreements
- Organize discounts, campaigns + special events for studio customers
- Organize and maintain audio field kits for rentals and trainings
- Send invoices and track payments for studio, tape syncs, and memberships
- Assist with events, workshops, and other uses of the space as needed
- Greet guests and give tours of the space
- Respond to email and phone inquiries promptly
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience with audio production and/or working in a professional recording studio
- Willingness to learn new A/V systems, equipment, and editing software
- Passion for technology and training others in how to use it
- Skilled at improving systems, processes and/or delivery of services
- Experience working with creative people or on creative endeavors
- Knowledge of podcasting
- Experience in customer service or providing excellent hospitality in public spaces
- Flexibility and desire to continually improve
This position is based in Boston. PRX employees are offered health, dental and life insurance benefits, short- and long-term disability, a 401k retirement plan, and paid vacation and parental leave.
Since its launch in September 2003, PRX has grown to become a leading media company, shaping the future of audio by connecting talented producers with their most engaged, supportive audiences. PRX builds technology and creates cutting-edge content that reaches millions of listeners worldwide. Based in Boston, PRX is a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment where employees are expected to develop new skills and encouraged to be adaptable and flexible.
Our Commitment To Diversity
We want our team to reflect the wide diversity of our country, and we strongly encourage POC and LGBTQ candidates to apply. We’re committed to structuring our hiring process and company to be welcoming to applicants of all backgrounds.
To apply for this job please visit prx.workable.com.