Gandhi Brigade Youth Media seeks a passionate professional to lead our growing nonprofit organization. The successful candidate will ensure continuity of current award winning after school and summer media programming, while creating new partnerships and programs that expand the impact of the organization.
Gandhi Brigade embraces diversity and equal opportunities for our staff and the population we serve. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds and perspectives.
The organization’s mission is: Gandhi Brigade Youth Media is a pioneering program that empowers young people in the Washington, DC region to use multimedia as tools to promote community building, multicultural understanding and the common good.
Our programs train middle and high school students in digital media skills like videography, digital editing, digital music creation, graphic design and coding. Programming is held at Montgomery County libraries, middle school and high schools. Additional programs include our award winning Documentary of Conscience in Summer (DOCS) program, and the Montgomery County Youth Media Festival, which showcases the best media arts produced by middle and high school students living in Montgomery County.
Reporting directly to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will be a strong leader, communicator and advocate for our mission and programs. The Executive Director will also lead the organization’s move into new permanent headquarter and programming space in the Silver Spring Library. The Executive Director will ensure the organization is meeting its mission and is working toward achieving its strategic goals. The Executive Director will oversee the overall management of Gandhi Brigade, which has an operating budget of $350,000 and a small, dedicated and talented staff and consulting team.
The Executive Director’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Leadership and Financial Sustainability: Secure sustainable financial resources to fund the work of Gandhi Brigade.
● Expand local revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations
● Create a long-term financial sustainability plan that includes studying the feasibility of strategies such as increased revenue from corporations and earned program revenue
● Prospect for new grant funders and write grants and reports
Programs: Deliver a cohesive mix of high quality programs that respond to the needs of young people and other segments of the community.
● Expand and create new programs for young people, girls, seniors and other members of the community
● Collaborate with other organizations and businesses to create new and impactful programming
● Ensure effectiveness and relevance by seeking ongoing input and evaluation of outcomes
Communications: Share and leverage information about the organization and its programs.
● Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand, presence and reputation
● Use external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities
● Represent the organization to agencies, organizations and the general public
Governance: Ensure stable leadership for the board of directors and staff.
● Maintain and grow a strong, effective board
● Implement nonprofit governance best practices
● Actively engage volunteers, board members, alumni, partnering organizations and funders
The strongest candidates for the Executive Director position will exhibit the following competencies and experiences:
● Experience and demonstrated success in fundraising
● Experience and demonstrated success in creating and sustaining productive relationships with community leaders (business, government, philanthropic, media professionals, etc.)
● Experience and demonstrated success in program development, implementation and evaluation/outcomes measurements
● Experience and understanding of budget formation, planning and forecasting
● Success with managing and inspiring large groups of members and/or volunteers
● Ability to collaborate and form partnerships
● Excellent communication skills, experience working with youth a plus
● Background in digital media production a plus
● Ability to foster a healthy, inclusive and diverse organizational culture to encourage teamwork and collaboration; strong interpersonal skills that include the ability to inspire and motivate; experience managing personnel
● Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred or equivalent combination of degree and experience
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. To apply, please email cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org and use your last name in CAPITAL LETTERS in the subject line.
While applications will be accepted until the position is filled, priority consideration will be given to applications received by August 27, 2018.
All communications will be treated confidentially.
Gandhi Brigade Youth Media is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or any other protected class.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com