ABOUT THE ROLE
The StoryCorps Recording & Archive (R&A) Department manages the StoryCorps Archive, comprising over 80,000 born-digital audio recordings; oversees the development and upkeep of recording venues and equipment; and trains and support StoryCorps facilitators and other staff in the recording process of StoryCorps’ signature interviews.
StoryCorps is currently seeking to hire an Archive Manager to join the R&A team. As a key member of the R&A department, the Archive Manager’s primary focus is on maintaining the organization, integrity, and accessibility of the StoryCorps Archive. Beyond these duties, the Manager will oversee maintaining, improving, promoting and supporting StoryCorps’ online access portal and supporting the continued development of the StoryCorps Virtual recording platform, as well as supporting other digital initiatives. The Manager reports to the Director, Recording & Archive and supervises the Archivist.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Develop, document, and implement systems, procedures, policies, and best practices for archiving StoryCorps interviews; oversee all archival processing functions and integrate technical and procedural changes into existing documentation.
- Oversee the training of new staff on all technical aspects of archival file processing, archive policies, data entry practices, audio recording, and photography.
- Serve as critical liaison to the Digital team, supporting the continued development of the StoryCorps Online Archive, the StoryCorps Virtual platform, and other digital platforms in development.
- Ensure that digital storage and file delivery systems align with best practices for preservation and access of born-digital materials.
- Manage archival relationship with the Library of Congress: evaluate all materials for transfer, maintain transfer procedures, implement recommendations and best practices for collaboration, and serve as point person for all communications.
- Oversee StoryCorps’ growing research program, including the development of standards and guidelines governing archive access and use by scholars and educators.
- Support and contribute to internal and external promotion of the StoryCorps Archive, including presenting at industry-related conferences and participating in professional organizations.
- Participate in institutional strategic planning, including supporting the development of new projects and initiatives.
- Support the curation of interview collections and collaborate with our Marketing team to promote these and other materials.
- Perform other duties to support the Recording & Archive department, as assigned
- You have a master’s degree in Library and Information Studies or Archival Studies, or equivalent combination of education and professional experience.
- You have a knowledge of digital asset management and digital preservation workflows.
- You are experienced in public support.
- You have strong team building, conflict negotiation, and collaboration skills.
- You communicate effectively – by email, phone or in person.
- You have experience and you’re comfortable with public speaking.
- You’re organized, have a keen attention to detail, and you’re able to multitask effectively.
- You are flexible and adaptable to a growing, changing organization.
- You demonstrate cultural humility and thrive in a diverse working environment.
PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- You are proficient in a second language (Spanish preferred).
- You have at least one year supervisory experience (strongly preferred).
- You are familiar with WordPress or similar content management system.
To apply for this job please visit storycorps.applytojob.com.