Community Media Specialist
$22-$25 / hour + benefits package
CreaTV seeks a dynamic, community minded, media/technology professional interested in working with a small team to collaboratively lead the organization’s partner and educational activities. The right candidate will bring enthusiasm, innovation and a creative approach to expanding our reach in the community, strengthening current relationships, and developing relevant, community centered educational and engagement opportunities.
CreaTV San José is a non-profit community media access center in downtown San José. Our mission is to inspire, educate and connect San José communities, using media to foster civic engagement. Serving the San José and Silicon Valley community since 2008, CreaTV is a nationally recognized Community Media Center focusing on access to media and technology, the art of storytelling and digital equity issues.
We manage four public and educational Comcast cable channels, airing over 3,200 locally produced videos in eight different languages each year. CreaTV also offers workshops in media production and provides a vast array of media production services to nonprofits, cities, schools and individuals wanting to produce content for the community.
The Community Media Specialist, under the supervision of the Community Media Manager, provides both administrative and technical support, supervision and training in the operation and use of all CreaTV San José facilities and equipment. This position will assist in creating a comfortable and creatively stimulating learning environment (physically and virtually) for people from all walks of life including the general public, college interns, local nonprofit organizations or service clubs, local government staff and officials, high school students enrolled in vocational programs, and youth groups. In addition, the Community Media Specialist will assist in creating opportunities for creative professionals, community producers, and community members to come together to explore uses of media technology to tell stories of social and cultural relevance to impact the community.
The ideal candidate should have strong technical skills, knowledge and desire to support issues of equity in media and tech, and have experience in transferring knowledge and skills in a variety of community situations. Currently this position is largely remote but will be expected to be in-person once health conditions improve.
Typical Duties (will include, but are not limited to, the following):
· Greets public by telephone and in person, responding to routine inquiries from the public, giving information about CreaTV San José’s policies and procedures, and referring callers as appropriate.
· Provides instructional training of operation of studio, editing software, and field equipment in community workshops.
· Assists in facilitating on and off site trainings in a variety of media and technology courses.
· Co-develop and maintain training and instruction curricula for CreaTV classes and workshops.
· Actively work with interns and volunteers to create a meaningful experience that supports the organization’s priorities and goals.
Assists in creating reports on the plans, activities, and outcomes of CreaTV media education and training programs.
· Assists in outreach strategies to promote participation in CreaTV educational and partnership programs.
· Provides technical support and training to members of the public in the operation of all CreaTV San José equipment in a friendly and professional manner.
· Facilitates equipment certification process, ensuring that equipment is used properly and only by appropriately certified members.
· Assists in managing membership renewals and member database.
Assist in gathering input and design ideas for educational programs from CreaTV staff, community media colleagues, educational contacts, and other resources.
· Assists in equipment checkout, scheduling of checkouts, and checking in/out of gear in accordance with policies and procedures.
· Assists in reserving conference facilities, dubbing rooms and editing suites in accordance with policies and procedures.
· May occasionally produce, shoot, light, or perform audio for CreaTV productions or other special media projects as assigned or approved by the Community Media Coordinator.
· May need to use a personal vehicle for business-related travel within San José.
· Other duties as assigned.
Desirable Skills and Abilities:
· Knowledge of community media, civic tech, public access, and media production.
· Ability to convey knowledge of highly complex equipment and production or technology techniques to community users of various ages and levels of expertise.
· Generally technology savvy and/or a willingness to learn and develop technology and media skills.
· Nonprofit outreach, community building and/or membership building experience.
· Work creatively and flexibly in a team environment, operating autonomously under minimal supervision, and to both provide and accept direction, supervision, and guidance when appropriate.
· Convey a warm and welcoming public manner.
· Work effectively in a volunteer environment.
· Additional Language skills (Spanish or Vietnamese).
· Strong customer service skills.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills.
· Technically proficient in aspects of media production and knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite.
· Must be able to climb ladders and be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
· Must be able to operate a camera, monitor audio and watch videos for quality control.
· Must be able to operate small push buttons and switches associated with audio boards, cameras, switchers, tripods, and editing systems.
· Must possess and maintain a valid California driver’s license, have a safe driving record, and maintain California minimum required automobile insurance.
· Able to work a flexible work schedule including evenings and weekends.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that provides the skill, knowledge, and abilities required.
· Two years of television or media production experience.
· Two years of media production training at college or trade school/occupational training level.
· Two years’ experience teaching media production or community based technology training.
Applications due no later than 5/5/2021 at 6pm.
To apply, please send cover letter explaining your interest in the position and resume to email@example.com with the subject line: Community Media Specialist.
People of color, women, formerly incarcerated people, and LGBTQ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org