Website California Film Institute
DEPARTMENT: Education, Reports to Director of Education
TERM: Contractor, July 2022-June 2023
LOCATION: Hybrid: San Rafael, CA/Remote
The Bilingual Film Educator/Programmer will support the work of CFI Education through school and student outreach and recruitment, classroom instruction and leadership, program and curriculum development, and curatorial support. The contractor will focus on expanding program outreach to local and national Latinx communities, providing bilingual in-person and online educational engagement opportunities, and assisting with curation and programming of Spanish-language film content. This is a half-time, one-year contract that can be performed remotely but also requires in-person outreach efforts, classroom visits, and school or community events, locally in Marin County and the Greater Bay Area.
ABOUT CFI EDUCATION:
CFI Education offers an array of creative in-person and online film programs for K-12 students in the Bay Area and around the country, serving more than 10,000 young people per year. Through live and virtual screenings, events, seminars, and hands-on workshops, CFI Education promotes cultural awareness, fosters media literacy, develops critical thinking skills, and lays the foundation for a lifelong appreciation of cinema.
OUR DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION COMMITMENT:
We strive for a culture where people sense they are valued, can bring their whole selves to work free of oppression, injustice, harassment or discrimination, and that they experience belongingness through a common purpose. We are taking steps to ensure that the California Film Institute is a safe and equitable space for staff members, filmmakers and audiences alike by incorporating inclusivity, diversity and accessibility measures into our business plan and tangible KPIs to hold ourselves accountable to serve and engage diverse audiences through our work. We are also working to examine racial justice internally in order to drive self-discovery and best inform how we can change practices and utilize our voice and position within the community.
- Develop and execute strategies for reaching and serving more students in Spanish-speaking and Latinx communities throughout the Bay Area and nationally, with an emphasis on under-resourced communities, after school programs, and schools that have not previously participated in CFI Education programs
- Work closely with the CFI Education team to create and sustain safe and inclusive learning environments for Latinx students within CFI Education programs
- Visit schools and community organizations around the Bay Area to promote and recruit teachers and students for participation in CFI Education programs
- Cultivate relationships with current Latinx community partners and strategize new partnership opportunities both locally and nationally
- Develop, coordinate, and lead both in-person and online school screenings and filmmaker visits with K-12 student groups during the festivals and year-round
- Engage directly with K-12 students, in both English and Spanish, to teach through and about film in both virtual and live classroom settings
- Research, review, and curate Spanish-language films for CFI Education exhibition programs, including MVFF and DocLands, with an emphasis on Latinx-centered storytelling and filmmakers.
- Work with the Curriculum Developer and the Marketing team to adapt and translate CFI Education resources and messaging for Spanish-speaking parents and ESL students
- Demonstrated experience working in K-12 classrooms and/or directly with K-12 students
- Comfortable engaging with students ages 5-18
- Extensive knowledge of film/media arts and the ability to apply it to teaching and learning
- Fluency in English and Spanish
- Mac literacy and proficiency in MS Office, Filemaker Pro, Google Docs
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Attention to detail and deadlines
- Successful contractors will inspire excitement about learning, communicate clearly and passionately about film, and be flexible in adapting presentations to effectively engage students.
- Must have reliable transportation to travel to school campuses and community org sites throughout the San Francisco Bay Area
- Proof of completed COVID-19 vaccination is currently required.
- TB tests and fingerprinting are required for onsite work in schools.
CFI is committed to equal opportunity. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for employees, contractors, and guests. Our policies prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com