Website The Menil Collection
The Menil Collection seeks a qualified individual to support the Department of Collection Management with photography duties.
The Photographer produces high-quality digital images of collection objects, library and archival materials, and events and exhibition installations as needed. The Photographer works with the Imaging Services team to coordinate photography and is responsible for managing the imaging process from image capture to post-capture image processing and metadata entry. The Photographer undertakes special projects and oversees deliverables from freelance photographers as needed.
1. Work with various departments, including Collection Management, Conservation, Library, Archives, Publishing, Communications, and Curatorial, to identify photography needs.
2. Use Menil digital cameras and studio lighting equipment to create images of museum collection objects and other materials as needed.
3. Ensure proper documentation elements, including ID plate, raking light indicator, scale bars, and color targets.
4. Operate Menil scanning equipment to digitize other materials such as transparencies, slides, and negatives.
5. Perform post-capture image processing and editing, resulting in publication-ready images.
6. Name files and embed metadata in digital images according to museum standards and guidelines.
7. Upload digital images to Menil network servers and work with Digital Asset Manager to ensure all files are received and stored correctly.
8. Work collaboratively with colleagues in Collection Management and Conservation to facilitate the safe and efficient movement and photography of collection objects.
9. Collaborate with Conservation Imaging Specialist to share equipment as needed and cooperatively capture conservation and collections photography when possible, minimizing unnecessary handling of objects.
10. Operate and maintain Menil photography, scanning, and photo printing equipment.
11. Prepare recommendations and budgets for additional equipment as needed.
12. Prepare recommendations for a purpose-built collections photography studio space.
13. Generate prints, either in-house or through a vendor, as necessary.
14. Work collaboratively with team members to identify and implement digital capture methods, digital image processing procedures, and digital workflows.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Photography.
2. A minimum of two to three years’ experience in a photography role, preferably at a cultural heritage institution, photographing both flat and three-dimensional objects.
3. Proficiency in the use of imaging hardware, studio lighting equipment, and tethered capture techniques and software.
4. Thorough understanding of digital still image file creation, including image sizing, bit depth, color profiling and calibration, image resolution, compression, and the creation and management of derivative and master files.
5. Working knowledge of best practices, including file naming and embedding metadata into digital image files according to IPTC standards.
6. Experience working with FADGI and Metamorfoze guidelines for cultural heritage imaging.
7. Advanced skill level with Capture One, Photoshop, and Bridge software.
8. Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite.
9. Ability to work on both Mac and PC.
10. Experience handling fine art and knowledge of safe handling techniques preferred.
11. Must be flexible, willing to adapt to changing studio conditions, and enjoy working in a collaborative space.
12. Must be able to stand for long periods, climb ladders, and lift equipment that may weigh up to 50 pounds.
How to Apply
For immediate consideration, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Menil Collection is an Equal Opportunity Employer and seeks diversity in its workforce. The Menil is committed to attracting, retaining, developing, and promoting the most qualified employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com