Website Smithsonian Folkways Recordings
Non-profit record label of the Smithsonian Institution
SMITHSONIAN FOLKWAYS SEEKS NEW DIGITAL MARKETING & DISTRIBUTION SPECIALIST
Smithsonian Folkways is seeking applications for a new position in the Marketing Department specializing in digital distribution and creative marketing campaigns. The ideal candidate has experience conceptualizing and executing dynamic marketing campaigns for independent artists or record labels, and has a strong familiarity with the music contained in the Smithsonian Folkways catalog. This position will maintain and grow connections with DSPs such as Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, and Pandora, as well as developing content for those platforms and the Smithsonian Folkways website. The position reports to the Marketing Manager and collaborates closely with the Folkways Marketing Team. Preference will be given to candidates who reside in or will relocate to the National Capital Region (Washington/Baltimore metropolitan area), though candidates from other localities within the United States will be considered.
- Coordinates presence of Smithsonian Folkways catalog on Digital Service Providers, including but not limited to Spotify, Apple Music, Pandora, Tidal, Qobuz, and others.
- Develops strategies and campaigns for visibility of new releases on DSPs.
- Develops long-term strategy for audio and video in coordination with Marketing Manager.
- Reports on catalog and new release analytics and statistics.
- Acts as point person with digital distribution partners and develops campaigns benefiting Smithsonian Folkways with external partners at DSPs and the label’s digital distributor.
- Communicates Smithsonian Folkways marketing priorities to relevant industry partners.
- Ensures timely and accurate data delivery for catalog and new releases.
- Leads creation of playlists and digital-only releases at direction of Marketing Manager and in conjunction with Marketing Team and Production Manager.
- Maintains organization of relevant documents, digital files, and other related materials.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in related field
- Minimum 2-5 years’ experience working in the independent music industry, primarily with work related to digital distribution and marketing
- An understanding and shared passion for the music and mission of Smithsonian Folkways Recordings
- Keen attention to detail and strong writing skills
- A creative approach to music marketing, and an ability to listen and collaborate
- A working style compatible with extensive teamwork and collaboration with Marketing Team colleagues
- Tenacity and ability to keep up with new developments and trends in a rapidly changing music industry
- Excellent planning and execution skills; ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and balance multiple projects
- An eye towards how new technology is being integrated into music marketing techniques
- A passion for new music with adventurous listening habits, including traditional music
- Familiarity with the Microsoft Office suite, Filemaker, and basic photo-, audio-, and video-editing software.
Salary: The annual salary is based on the GS-9 level of the federal General Schedule (GS) pay system.
For benefits, please consult information on Smithsonian OHR website.
Please email a resume and cover letter to ClarkLE@si.edu. Applications close at midnight on September 25th, 2022.
To apply for this job please visit folkways-media.si.edu.