Website Northwest Documentary
Title: Executive Director
Status: Full-time Exempt
Salary: $50,000 – $52,000 plus full health coverage
Background and Need
NW Documentary was started in 2003 with a mission to practice, teach, and share the art of nonfiction storytelling. We are committed to the idea that everyone has a story to tell, and that in facilitating people’s capacity to tell those stories, we enrich and enliven the community and world in which we live.
We offer affordable storytelling workshops to the public for both youth and adults, produce short videos for other nonprofits, and create a community space for storytellers to support each other’s work.
Following 13 years of award-winning successful programs, NW Documentary is poised at an exciting new chapter of business growth. We seek to strengthen all of our internal systems, develop more resources and revenue, and build on our capacity to enable people to tell their stories in many formats.
Our current budget is approximately $250,000, with 2-3 staff and a dedicated 5- person board of directors. Our strategic initiatives for the next two years include stabilizing and increasing our funding, expanding our membership and classes, increasing the diversity of our students, and building collaborations with community partners.
We are seeking an Executive Director with a passion for the power of nonfiction storytelling to expand our reach and use their experience in the business and nonprofit sector to help strengthen our internal systems. The Executive Director will have the ability and experience to inspire and motivate the staff, community, individuals, corporations and foundations to work together to expand membership and the work of NW Documentary. To be clear, this is not a position for an aspiring filmmaker to learn their trade, rather it is an opportunity for a skillful nonprofit leader to enhance an organization doing important work in the community.
If you are a successful leader with a passion for the storytelling mission of NW Documentary and the skills to convey that passion in a compelling manner to a wide range of people, this position may be a fit for you. The new Executive Director will:
• Be a visionary leader with a track record of inspiring others—building and rallying a team around a shared vision and strategic direction.
• Have a strong background in successful nonprofit fundraising and community engagement with a passionate and fearless quest to involve people excited about supporting NW Documentary.
• Have experience in administration or management of a small organization and capacity to help organize and systematize programs and activities to improve efficiency.
• Be tech savvy
• Have experience working collaboratively and effectively with a nonprofit board of directors.
• Understand the potential of film and documentary arts when combined with a passion for storytelling.
· Help transition the organization after the departure of the founding Executive Director and oversee the successful administration of programs that will mentor and educate a new generation of documentary filmmakers and storytellers.
· Be familiar with budgets and nonprofit financial oversight.
· Have experience both applying for and reporting on nonprofit grants at both state and federal levels.
· Be an excellent written and oral communicator.
If you have most of the above skills, and relish the opportunity to grow with a small organization doing exciting work, if you have a commitment to supporting a community rich with cultural, social and creative diversity, if you’re willing to roll up your sleeves and do any job that might come your way, if you’re a collaborative and supportive leader then this might be a perfect opportunity for you. We accept and welcome applicants of diverse backgrounds and cultures to apply.
To apply, please include:
1. A compelling cover letter showing why you would be a good fit for this position, including examples of fundraising achievements.
2. A complete chronological resume, including dates of employment.
3. The names and contact information of four professional references.
4. How you heard about this position.
and submit to: NWDocSearch@nonprofitoregon.org by Sunday, March 5, 2017 at 5:00 pm PST.
To apply for this job email your details to NWDocSearch@nonprofitoregon.org