Website Kartemquin Films
Job Title: Production and Finance Manager
Supervised by: Executive Director
Hourly or Salary: Salary
Exempt or Nonexempt: Exempt
Approximate Hours per Week: 40 hours a week
Salary range: Commensurate with experience
Renowned media arts non-profit seeks an organized, hard-working and nimble individual to join a passionate team and help move our award-winning roster of social issue documentary films from start to finish. Successful candidates will have demonstrated problem-solving and communication skills, as well as the ability to prioritize and see the big picture in a fast-paced, dynamic setting. Enjoy a collaborative environment in a relaxed office as part of a creative team with big–thinking people who care about our impact within the film community and the world. Learn more about our mission: www.kartemquin.com
JOB SUMMARY: The Production and Finance Manager coordinates and manages the entire cross-departmental workflow, budgets and schedule for all Kartemquin films while assisting the Director of Finance & Operations in planning, organizing, and overseeing the activities of day-to-day accounting functions. The Production and Finance Manager role requires a high level of professionalism in both internal and external communication. This staff person will be expected to maintain a high standard for attention to detail, manage multiple assignments concurrently, work efficiently, and maintain excellent working relationships with their supervisor, filmmakers, outside vendors, and Kartemquin staff.
Develop collegial, positive relationships with filmmakers from the contract phase to the outreach & distribution phase to facilitate effective and efficient workflows.
● Onboard new filmmakers to get them acclimated with staff and internal processes and procedures.
● Act as key contact to new filmmakers during contracting phase, answering questions on key contract terms, reviewing drafts and revisions, and ensuring fully executed contract is obtained in a timely manner.
● Work with filmmakers on contract deliverables, ensuring on-time and within-budget delivery for all programs in coordination with Post Production Manager.
● Act as key contact for E&O insurance application process, reviewing application with filmmakers, ensuring completeness and accuracy of applications, and maintaining E&O-related information on server.
● Ensure all appropriate files and documentation are maintained on the server and appropriate hard copy files.
● Review production schedules in coordination with Post Production Manager to ensure project stays on budget.
● Make Initial review of the budget with feedback for changes or adjustments.
● Update and maintain Production Handbook to assist with onboarding process for new filmmakers.
● Other related duties as requested.
● Review monthly cost reports and ledgers to monitor film budgets; process monthly payments to filmmakers/film vendors.
● Manage filmmaker invoice requests, coding questions, and report requests.
● Work in conjunction with filmmakers to review and address budget-related inquiries.
● Facilitate post-production billing for Post-Production manager; generate internal project billing invoices; import all data and edit offsets & descriptions as needed; ensure financial reports & invoices are relayed to filmmakers by the 15th of each month.
● Other related duties as requested.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, ABILITIES
● Experience preparing and evaluating budgets, cost reports, and financial records for films.
● Three years accounting experience, preferably non-profit preferred.
● Understanding of and experience working with rights licensing agreements for film and television, knowledge of insurance and business requirements for companies engaging in film/television work.
● Experience negotiating contracts in a television, film and/or media environment.
● Advanced skills with project management tools and software including Microsoft Word, and Excel.
● MIP accounting software knowledge preferred.
● Ability to operate effectively in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment and shared work space.
● Demonstrated ability to work cross functionally, and effectively as part of team.
● Excellent communication and presentation skills.
● Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with individuals from a wide variety of social and economic backgrounds, as well as the ability to constructively manage conflict in a business setting.
● Extremely detail oriented, organized, flexible, able to meet deadlines.
● Proactive and self-motivated with demonstrated ability to take initiative, prioritize tasks.
● Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
● Ability to supervise peers and manage up to uphold standards set by Kartemquin.
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent educational experience.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, salary history, and salary requirements to:
email@example.com. Please write your name (last, first) in the subject line of your email. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. No phone calls please.
We welcome diversity among our board, staff, filmmakers, and interns. We recruit, hire, train and promote without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or any other protected status.
Kartemquin Educational Films is an equal opportunity employer.