Website Kartemquin Films
Job Title: Director of Finance & Operations
Supervised by: Executive Director
Status: Full Time
Hourly or Salary: Salary
Exempt or Nonexempt: Exempt
Direct Reports: 1.5 FTE
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
Kartemquin Educational Films (Kartemquin) is a fifty-year-old 501(c)(3) non-profit home for independent filmmakers developing documentary as a vehicle to deepen our understanding of society through everyday human drama. Focusing on people whose lives are most directly affected by social and political change and who are often overlooked or misrepresented by the media, Kartemquin’s films open up a dialogue, both in communities and between the general public and policymakers. As a locally and nationally-recognized media arts organization, Kartemquin acts as a trusted bridge between communities and the media, fosters the growth of emerging filmmaking voices passionate about social issues and media policy, and encourages staff and stakeholders to play a role in advocating for a strong public media. Learn more about our mission: www.kartemquin.com.
The Director of Finance and Operations will be a strategic thought-partner to the executive director (ED) and oversee all aspects of this complex, multi-subsidiary $3.5M organization’s finances, business planning and budgeting, human resources, administration, and IT. The successful candidate will be a hands-on self-starter and participative manager with the ability to prioritize and see the big picture in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. This position will play a critical role in strategic decision-making as Kartemquin continues to enhance its quality films and programming and build its internal capacity in its 50th year and beyond. This is a tremendous opportunity for a finance and operations leader to strengthen a well-respected media arts organization that cares about its impact within the film community and the world.
- Responsible for all aspects of the organization’s finances, including partnering with the ED to develop and maintain a sound financial management strategy to ensure sustainable fiscal health.
- Prepare and analyze financial packages (reports, narratives, summaries, statements) in an accurate and timely manner; clearly present and communicate key financial matters to the ED and the board of directors.
- Manage organizational cash flow and financial forecasting.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the ED; monitor ongoing budget-to-actual results; keep ED abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process and liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors
- Supervise Accounting Associate and ensure daily accounting functions are accurately completed in compliance with GAAP and KEF policies and procedures, including: accounts receivable, accounts payable, cash management, and monthly intercompany billing and reconciliation processes.
- Prepare and complete month-end close, payroll tax reports, W-2s & 1099s, sales tax returns, royalty distributions and other report filings. Ensure compliance with all state and federal tax laws, wage and hour regulations, and 501(c)(3) requirements.
- Develop, update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Ensure donor restrictions are honored and maintain the integrity of restricted funding across all legal entities and subsidiaries.
Operations, Technology and Administration
- Oversee and enhance all operations, technology and administrative functions, as well as facilities, to ensure the organization’s internal processes and infrastructure will allow Kartemquin to continue to grow and fulfill its mission.
- Supervise part-time Finance & Operations Associate to ensure all aspects of day-to-day office operations and administration run smoothly and efficiently as the organization scales.
- Coordinate all information technology needs with external IT vendor; maintain relationships with all other third-party office consultants.
- Advise ED in organizational strategic planning and evaluation efforts. Evaluate, create, and implement new systems and processes for improved efficiencies
- Oversee risk management and legal activities: letters of agreement; contracts; leases; insurance procurement, monitoring, and management; subsidiary LLC formation and management; and other legal documents and agreements.
- Serve as chief liaison with pro bono attorney representation, handling a wide variety of project-based needs, including co-production agreements and copyright issues.
- Further develop Kartemquin’s human resources and administration, enhancing professional development, compensation and benefits, performance evaluation, training, retention, and recruiting efforts.
- Perform all human resources functions including: hiring coordination, personnel records maintenance, orientations, evaluations, terminations, benefits administration, job description updates, and recruiting processes.
- Establish a comprehensive training program to educate employees regarding staff tools, policies and procedures; on-board new staff to the organization; improve staff retention.
- Develop new ways to promote teamwork and collaboration across the organization and keep morale high across all stakeholders.
- Manage worker classification compliance efforts
- Minimum of a B.A. with accounting focus; an MBA and/or CPA is preferred
- At least 7-10 years of overall professional accounting and financial management experience; ideally 6+ years of broad financial and operations senior-level management experience at a non-profit organization
- Experience with fund- or project-based accounting and managing restricted grants and assets
- Proven knowledge of GAAP accounting principles (including non-profit regulations), IRS reporting requirements, human resource best practices, current labor law, grants management and compliance, short-term and long-range financial planning, legal contract review, and business insurance needs
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with – programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
- Technology savvy with experience overseeing Mac and PC information systems and infrastructure, including hardware, software, and accounting/finance applications
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision-making
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of Kartemquin.
- Experience with Abila MIP or other fund accounting software highly preferred.
- Confident, out-going personality with an infectious can-do attitude
- Must be able to work against tight timelines, operate with a sense of urgency and perform under pressure, especially in peak periods of the year
To Apply: Please submit your cover letter, with salary requirements, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate Director of Finance & Operations in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. No phone calls, please. We regret that due to the large number of applications we receive, we can only respond personally to the applicants who best meet our needs for this position.
Kartemquin Educational Films is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com