Firelight Media is a non-profit organization dedicated to developing emerging documentary filmmakers who tell stories about people, places, cultures and issues that are underrepresented in the mainstream media, and to developing audiences for their work. Firelight’s key programs include the Documentary Lab, which mentors emerging filmmakers of color, and the Partnerships & Engagement branch, which develops campaigns and builds relationships between media makers and community and advocacy organizations. Firelight Media’s Documentary Lab Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Documentary Lab program.
The Lab Manager will work closely with the Documentary Lab Director on all aspects of program development and implementation. This person must be flexible, highly organized, and a creative and innovative thinker. The ideal candidate must be an excellent writer and possess strong program managerial skills. Candidate should also have strong computer skills and be an excellent verbal communicator, in person and on the phone.
The Lab Manager is a key position ensuring program efficiency and success. The Manager must be able to work closely with all program staff and participants to promote an open, inclusive environment that emphasizes cooperation and teamwork. In addition, the Manager will be energetic and eager to discover and invent solutions to substantive, programmatic and administrative challenges, and will thrive in a small but growing organization. The Manager will possess good judgment as well as a sense of humor. Personal alignment with the mission and goals of the organization is essential.
Program Development and Management
- Plan and execute annual Doc Lab programmatic activities, including professional development retreats and quarterly Film Feasts
- Support the Lab Director in the development of special initiatives and projects such as the Regional Day Labs and Digital Shorts Series
- Manage work flow and processes related to Fellow recruitment, intake, assessment, work plan development, and mentor assignment
- Liaise with fellows, mentors, advisory board and partners on programmatic matters
- Develop and maintain program calendar
- Manage processes related to the Next Step Media Fund, including drafting and scheduling RFP announcement and organizing panel reviews
- Assist in field-building and developing partnerships for the Documentary Lab and Firelight Media
- Support the growth and maintenance of the Documentary Lab’s relationships with key players in the independent film and public media field
- Develop calendar of key events and conferences in the independent and public media field
- Work with communications staff to promote Lab successes and Fellow accomplishments
- Program Monitoring and Evaluation
- Manage regular assessments of fellow/mentor relationships
- Track fellow benchmarks and workplan completion
- Ensure proper monitoring and documentation of our work
- Work with external evaluator to complete annual evaluation
- Ensure administrative systems appropriately document and report on our work
- Bachelor’s Degree and 5+ years program management experience required
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, and Google
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and work under short deadlines
- Even temperament and sense of humor
- Prior experience in documentary production preferred
- Prior experience working in public media ideal, but not required
- Prior experience with IT, database software, Internet conferencing platforms a plus
Interested candidates should forward resume, salary requirements and cover letter by April 21, 2017 to email@example.com. Please be sure to put Documentary Lab Manager in the subject line.
Firelight Media is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org