Website California Film Institute
We celebrate and promote the art and education of film.
About the Job:
The Director of Operations oversees the recruitment, management, and effective performance of film festival employees and contractors with an emphasis on high customer satisfaction, interpersonal and interdepartmental synergy, and optimum company culture, including achievement of diversity, equity, and inclusion goals. The Director holds the primary responsibility at CFI for ensuring the optimum operational support for employees of the organization, including managing the training and professional development programs and systems for the organization. The Director leads CFI-wide planning functions as well as events, venues, and facilities management (except Rafael theater management) functions.
About the California Film Institute:
CFI supports its mission to celebrate film as art and education by presenting the annual Mill Valley Film Festival and DocLands Documentary Film Festival, exhibiting film year-round at the non-profit Christopher B. Smith Rafael Film Center, and building the next generation of filmmakers and film lovers through CFI Education.
Our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Commitment:
We strive for a culture where people sense like they are valued, can bring their whole selves to work free of oppression, injustice, harassment or discrimination, and that they experience belongingness through a common purpose. We are taking steps to ensure that the California Film Institute is a safe and equitable space for staff members, filmmakers and audiences alike by incorporating inclusivity, diversity and accessibility measures into our business plan and tangible KPIs to hold ourselves accountable to serve and engage diverse audiences through our work. We are also working to examine racial justice internally in order to drive self-discovery and best inform how we can change practices and utilize our voice and position within the community.
Pay and Working Conditions:
This is a full-time, exempt position with an annual salary range of $90,000 – $100,000. While currently remote, the normal work location is San Rafael, CA.
How to Apply:
Submit a resume and cover letter summarizing your qualifications for the position via: https://www.applicantpro.com/openings/cafilm/jobs/2211450-75237
Hiring and Employee Management
– Ensure the optimum planning, organizational integration, and performance of events, theater operations, guest services (including transportation), and volunteer management functions and personnel for CFI programs, festivals, and events by deploying capable operations staff teams and systems.
– Maintain manuals and job descriptions for festival operations departments and staff positions.
– Recruit and hire seasonal staff positions with an emphasis on ensuring equal opportunity and diversity, equity, and inclusion in employment.
Training and Professional Development
– Manage contracts for CFI-wide training and professional development programs.
– Focus on methods of elevating the positive internal company culture for CFI and on elevating the customer experience through exceptional operations and customer service.
– Manage and train festival teams.
Events, Venues, and Facilities
– Oversee planning and staffing for CFI events and festival events.
– Manage event and festival venues.
– Work with local businesses to maintain strong relationships including partners for events, new festival spaces, festival parking, etc.
– Ensure the optimum performance of festival technology services, including projection, sound, wireless, lighting, and other systems and services.
Operational and CRM Systems
– Ensure the optimum selection, performance, and integration of operational software and systems, including customer relationship management (CRM) software and services.
– Set operational policies and protocols, including for health and safety purposes.
Box Office and Ticketing
– Ensure the optimum performance of festival, theater, and event ticketing systems and contractors.
– Oversee Box Office operations, systems, and contractors, except in year-round theaters.
– Oversee selection of ticket sales dates and plan the interdepartmental actions that are needed to meet those dates.
– Design festival and theater ticket packages in conjunction with other departments.
– Procure and manage festival contractors for CFI ensuring optimum performance and fit with the organization’s culture, equity goals, and conduct requirements.
Planning and Budgeting
– Lead the inter-departmental planning process for festivals.
– Build Festival operations budgets and track operations budget throughout the year.
– Support efforts to improve CFI systems and operations, including research and implementation.
– Develop key performance indicators and measurement methods for internal and external customer satisfaction scores.
– Lead inter-departmental performance data management and analysis.
– Guide the development of key performance indicators for each department, with an emphasis on customer and employee satisfaction, quality assurance, and financial performance.
– A minimum of 3 years of experience in a managerial or leadership role in film festivals or related festival, film, or events management experience.
– Experience recruiting, hiring, managing, and training both staff and volunteers, including an understanding of human resources and employment laws and best practices and of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) methods, programs, and initiatives.
– Experience with staff training and professional development.
– Superb relationship skills with a track record of leadership in organizational culture, inclusivity, equity, and diversity programs and initiatives.
– Strong technology skills, with thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Powerpoint), planning (e.g., Asana), and workplace communication and collaboration (e.g., Google Suite, Slack) Apps. Experience with event and festival management and ticketing software is a plus.
– Experience with budget development and financial management.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
CFI is an equal opportunity employer to all. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment. Our policies prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on age, race, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
To apply for this job please visit www.applicantpro.com.